Wednesday, July 20, 2011

NYC

30 Rock is filmed in Brooklyn. Sad face.
I just got back from New York!  For the first time in my whole life. Until this weekend, all I knew about New York came from movies and TV.  And in the case of a few of those (like How I Met Your Mother, Friends, Will & Grace, and Seinfeld) they aren't even filmed in New York. Or even on the East Coast.
So all I knew came from
  • Jungle 2 Jungle
  • Home Alone 2
  • Big
  • Kate and Leopold
  • Someone Like You
  • You've Got Mail
  • Hitch
  • ...I don't need to list these. Just think of pretty much every movie ever made. Except the ones by John Hughes.
Overall, this did not give me a very good idea of what the city is actually like and gave me a weird set of expectations going into this trip.  Mostly that the city of New York exists to be filmed: with wet streets to reflect lights at night and the streets perpetually bustling around a single person as he or she walks slowly, obliviously through them with a look that betrays the fact that their thoughts are far, far away.  Thinking about him. Or her. Or how to keep their superhero costume from bunching under their day clothes.

But surprise(to me)! New York is a real place. That exists. It exists when the cameras aren't there. It exists when the Glee kids aren't dancing around all over the place and the Gossip Girls aren't...gossiping.  So if I learned anything from this trip it's that New York is real and real people really live there.
There are lots of opportunities to take pictures of people taking pictures.
I also learned all those apartments in shows like Friends don't exist. Unless you have a trust fund. Or you're in Brooklyn.


My goals for this trip:



Eat real New York Pizza.
check.



















Eat a real New York bagel. 
- Russ and Daughters - check.


Find Bret and Jemaine's apartment.
check.



















See a famous person.
- BAM! Saw Brian Williams walking around NBC Studios wearing hipster glasses. - check.



Overall, a COMPLETELY successful trip that surpassed all my expectations and thoroughly exhausted me.

THANKS MALLORY!


No comments:

Post a Comment