Tuesday, February 15, 2011

OK. so about Valentine's day...

For some reason people were worried about me being lonely on Valentine's Day. Because I am currently unattached, this must mean that V-day means Single's Awareness Day (SAD) and upon the stroke of midnight incurs uncontrollable sobbing and self-deprecation.  Not so.

This Valentine's Day (or as Harrison put it "Clearance Chocolates Eve") was amazing! I enjoyed many of the same things couples do on this loveliest of love days:
  1. Valentines- dinosaurs and chocolates and a hand-drawn one on my door that said "let's stick together" with a little happy-faced glue bottle
  2. Expressions of love from loved ones- my parents sent me a package full of my fiddle music!
  3. Serenades- I had a song written about me by the lovely Katelyn Carter and got to hear some new Brother stuff from Shane (:fan girl squee:)
  4. Pink things!- clothes and shoes and cupcakes!
  5. Treating myself for no reason other than it being the 14th of February- I enjoyed a very delicious and free coffee from Starbucks and a Chocolate Strawberry cupcake from Cupcake. 
  6. Dinner with loved ones- even if it was at Liberty cafeteria...
The day was near perfect. However, I did get a rather annoying text message. This is how I read it (witnesses will assure you it was not much different):

Hey Claire! It's that guy you are friendly acquaintances with from church who hasn't talked to you since I started dating that girl that you don't talk to anymore! So anyway, I invited a real good friend of mine (read: lonely fellow-Navy-man) to my intimate Valentine's dinner with me and that girl who hasn't talked to you since freshman year. I was hoping you could drop whatever you're doing this evening to come out with us and make him feel like he isn't a third wheel (which he totally is). Let's face it, you are probably just watching sappy chick flicks and shopping for cats on the internet, because that's what single girls do, right? So come out with us tonight (it's 6:35, so that gives you enough time to put on deodorant at least) instead of sobbing into your ice cream! I'm totally paying for everything. See how nice I am? ;) K bye.  
Several problems with this:
  1. no, I don't want to double date with a friendly acquaintance, a stranger, and a girl with a grudge against me.
  2. it's 6:35. I already had dinner.
  3. I could have romantic dinner plans of my own!
  4. Just because I'm single doesn't mean I will take every desperate stranger you throw at me! Show me a picture first. And does he like Muse?
  5. why did you invite that guy to your V-day dinner? To get him a date. And your girlfriend is in a sorority full of single girls, so I am pretty sure I was far down on a list of possibilities. It was 6:35. Now I am many-times insulted.
Luckily, I got this about an hour after he sent it, so I had a more legitimate excuse than "ummm...no." But seriously. Like I had nothing better to do!

4 comments:

  1. You rock Clairie! Such a great post.
    Love you
    buddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You so funny.and a keen interpreter! bollocks to said navy boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "just watching sappy chick flicks and shopping for cats on the internet"

    literal lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good God Girl, you have a career in writing just waiting to happen. "And does he like Muse?" Oh yeah, you are the bomb!

    ReplyDelete