Sunday, May 9, 2010

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY



My mother is Kathleen DeBuys. She works in a CBI classroom, she mothers four (awesome, sometimes awkward) children, and she is married to my goofy father, Rhett DeBuys.
She loves coffee and reading the newspaper, which she told me is because of the movie Working Girl with Melanie Griffith.She worries a lot, which can be scary, especially when she makes us practice what to do should the car in front of us lose control of the canoe strapped to the top of it.
She doesn't like to be referred to as she, which is why writing this is making me a bit uncomfortable. "who's SHE?" my mother would say. [Please forgive me mom, for all the shes in this paragraph.]
She likes blogging and reading and the color purple.
She likes painting the rooms in our house, but she never changes her clothes to do it. When she feels like painting, she just starts. New jeans be damned.
She doesn't mind if you're dirty or sweaty or wet from the pool- she'll hug you anyway.
She's always there to help with homework, read a term paper, look at a picture you've drawn, or read a blog post you wrote (even when they're not about her).
She is loving, compassionate, beautiful, magnanimous, courageous, lively, funny, patient, and wonderful. She is my example for everything I do. She is the yardstick with which I measure my life. I am so lucky to have such a shining example for a mother, even if she doesn't realize how true what I am saying is. I love her with all my heart, and I can only hope to be as good to my children as she has been to me.

I love you, Mom.
Happy Mother's Day.

1 comment:

  1. Well Claire, it's safe to say that, if you're a product of your mother, then your mother is a pretty fantastic lady.

    ReplyDelete