Saturday, June 19, 2010

warning: spoiler alert?

So I finished Name of the Wind.

I'm going to do you a favor and say DON'T READ IT.








At least not until Pat "Poophead" Rothfuss (the author) finishes AND publishes the sequel, Wise Man's Fear. Unless you wish to face the same disappointment I did late last night, I highly recommend getting out before you get hurt. Wait a year, when this stupid follow up will finally be out (according to Amazon, but what do they know anyway?), and then read it. Because it is quite enjoyable.

So last night, I came home from trivia, watched an episode of Buffy (Ted, Season 2) and then retired to bed, eager to finish the last 20-or-so pages. I usually read until my eyelids are heavy, and then fight to keep them open until I finish the chapter. Last night, however, I achieved no resolution, and could barely make my eyes tired with the last few chapters. I knew around page 500 that the book would not be able to resolve itself, and even that the main character, Kvothe, would be unable to finish his storytelling. What I DIDN'T know is how upset I would be when I got to the last page and realized I would not see an end of the story for perhaps another year.

If I hadn't been badgered into reading it now, now, NOW, I wouldn't be so disappointed by the lackluster, unsatisfying, HUGE BUZZ KILL of an ending.

I'm calling you out, Robert Ross. I blame you for this turmoil and anguish.



edit: I don't know if you can tell, but I really, thoroughly enjoyed this book. Stupid Poophead.

No comments:

Post a Comment